Eight Quick Suggestions for Corporate Blogs
WordPress Installation and Functionality
Blogs can serve many functions from improving your SEO ranking to providing publicity for your firm to serving as an online diary. See eight quick suggestions below on blogs and related matters:
1. Choose WordPress instead of Blogger.
WordPress is blogging software, and it offers many advanced functions unavailable on Blogger.
2. Host the blog on your own web site.
Consult with your tech person to accomplish this or follow instructions from your web site hosting firm. WordPress offers both hosted and non-hosted options at WordPress.org and WordPress.com.
3. Create a pleasing appearing by selecting an appropriate template.
Templates can radically alter your blog’s appearance by changing the layout, colors etc. You can generally change the template at any time by finding a new one and clicking on a link to activate it. The WordPress dashboard offers this capability under “Appearance.”
4. Widgets also improve appearance.
“Widgets” are various functions you can include in a side column for any template you choose. You should include your company URL in the “blogroll” widget as well as any other blog URLs your visitors may find interesting or related to your topic.
5. The number of authors for your blog as well as the frequency of your submissions can be varied and announced through the title of the blog.
“Thoughts from [My Firm]” can be used for multiple authors, and “This Week in [My Industry]” works for less frequent entries.
6. Your tone is important.
There should be some emotion and passion in your blog entries befitting its format as a type of online diary.
7. After it’s been in existence for a few months, submit your blog’s URL to blog search engines.
Technorati.com is the most famous but also register with blogcatalog.com, blogflux.com, getblogs.com and globeofblogs.com.
8. Establish an RSS feed for your blog and ensure adequate pinging services.
People who visit your blog can subscribe through a RSS feed instead of checking your blog’s URL all the time for new entries. The subscribers then will receive your new entries whenever they are published. Pinging represents a similar concept except it doesn’t transmit the actual text.
You want to ping as many sits as possible without notifying anyone twice. WordPress provides a list of unique pinging services in its help section.