Eight Advanced Ways to Boost Your Blog
… and Improve Your SEO
Blogs can be a powerful tool to improve your web site’s search engine ranking. Please see below eight advanced methods to achieve this, and much more.
1) Make your blog part of your company web site.
Download WordPress.org, the most powerful software for an internal blog. A blog residing on your company domain serves as a source of inbound “deep” links and creates a dynamic site that is constantly growing. This is one feature Google evaluates in its ranking algorithm.
2) Use the “Sociable” plug-in to create icons linking your blog to social media sites.
Plug-ins provide additional functionality to your WordPress.org software. Sociable serves as a source of viral marketing by letting visitors spread your material to their favorite Web 2.0 programs.
3) The “All in one SEO” plug-in improves blog headlines and descriptions.
Blog writers need interesting headlines to attract readers, but more topical and factual headlines are preferable for SEO. This plug-in lets you do both.
4) Use Askimet to block spam.
The Askimet plug-in comes pre-installed with WordPress.org software. All you need to do is activate it.
5) Keep duplicate content to a minimum.
Delete your chronological archives; the categorical ones are sufficient. Google spiders detect duplicate content and lower your ranking as a result.
6) The Google Sitemap Generator works automatically.
Google spiders use sitemaps to improve crawling of your web site and blog. This plug-in automatically keeps your sitemap up-to-date after each blog entry.
7) Your permalink structure must be optimized.
Permalinks (permanent links) create a new URL for each blog entry. By clicking on “custom structure,” you can make them more searchable by deleting the blog title and date that would otherwise appear on each URL. Just type /%postname%/ into the custom structure box found after clicking the permalinks menu on your dashboard.
8) Use the post-slug plug-in to delete unnecessary words from your blog URLs.
Instead of “the-debate-on-healthcare-reform,” this plug-in will create a more searchable “debate-healthcare-reform.”